Stir fry is one of the most popular Chinese dishes around the world. It’s quick, easy, and delicious. Tofu, also known as bean curd, is a fantastic source of protein and can be used in various dishes. Combining stir fry and tofu, we get a delicious and healthy meal option – Tofu Stir Fry. In this article, we will learn how to make tofu stir fry, step by step.
Before we begin, let’s look at the ingredients we need to make tofu stir fry.
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, etc.)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped scallions and sesame seeds for garnish
Before we start cooking, we need to prepare the ingredients.
- Press the tofu: Drain the tofu and place it on a paper towel. Put another paper towel on top and press the tofu with a heavy object for 15-20 minutes to remove excess water. Then cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Chop the vegetables: Wash and chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the sauce: In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, cornstarch, water, and black pepper.
Now that we have everything prepared let’s start cooking.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
- Add minced garlic and grated ginger to the skillet and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the skillet and stir for 3-4 minutes until they are slightly tender but still crisp.
- Add the tofu cubes to the skillet and stir gently for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the tofu and vegetables, stirring well to ensure it coats evenly.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the vegetables and tofu.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds (optional).
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Tips for Perfect Tofu Stir Fry
- Use firm tofu: Firm tofu is perfect for stir fry because it holds its shape well and doesn’t crumble.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes: This helps the tofu cook evenly and absorb the flavors of the sauce and vegetables.
- Use a non-stick skillet: This prevents the tofu from sticking to the skillet and breaking apart.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables: They should be slightly tender but still crisp to add texture to the dish.
Tofu stir fry is an excellent option for a healthy and delicious meal. It’s quick, easy, and customizable, making it perfect for busy weeknights. By following the recipe and tips mentioned in this article, you can make perfect tofu stir fry every time.
Can I use any type of vegetables for tofu stir fry?
- Yes, you can use any vegetables you like or have on hand.
Can I use other types of tofu for this recipe?
- Yes, you can use any type of tofu you prefer, but firm tofu is recommended.
Can I make tofu stir fry ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make the tofu stir fry ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze tofu stir fry?
- No, it’s not recommended to freeze tofu stir fry as the vegetables and tofu may become mushy when thawed.
Is tofu stir fry vegan-friendly?
- Yes, tofu stir fry is a great vegan-friendly option as it contains no animal products.
In conclusion, tofu stir fry is a healthy and delicious meal option that is easy to make and customizable. With a few simple ingredients and the right technique, you can create a tasty stir fry that is perfect for any night of the week. Experiment with different vegetables and spices to make the dish your own. Don’t forget to follow the tips mentioned in this article to ensure perfect tofu stir fry every time. Enjoy!