If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal that’s packed with flavor, shrimp stir fry is the way to go. This dish is a crowd-pleaser and can be customized with your favorite vegetables and spices. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a delicious shrimp stir fry in just a few simple steps.
To make shrimp stir fry, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Follow these simple steps to make shrimp stir fry:
Step 1: Prep the Shrimp and Vegetables
Peel and devein the shrimp, then rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Slice the bell peppers and onion into thin strips, and slice the mushrooms. Cut the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
Step 3: Cook the Shrimp
Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the shrimp and stir fry until pink, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
Step 4: Stir Fry the Vegetables
Add another tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for about 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms, and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender but still crisp.
Step 5: Add the Sauce
Add the broccoli florets and the sauce to the pan. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the broccoli is tender but still crisp.
Step 6: Combine Everything and Serve
Add the shrimp back to the pan and stir fry for an additional minute or until everything is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot over rice or noodles.
Tips and Tricks
- If you prefer your stir fry to be a little spicier, add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- You can use any combination of vegetables you like in this dish. Some other great options include snow peas, carrots, and water chestnuts.
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked shrimp instead of raw shrimp. Just skip step 3 and add the cooked shrimp to the pan at the end.
- Make sure your pan or wok is hot before you start cooking. This will help prevent the vegetables from getting too soggy.
Shrimp stir fry is a quick and easy dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights. With a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can create a delicious and healthy meal in just a matter of minutes. So next time you’re looking for something tasty and satisfying, give this recipe a try.
- Can I use frozen shrimp in this recipe?
- Yes, you can use frozen shrimp in this recipe. Just make sure to thaw them completely before cooking.
- Can I use other types of seafood in this stir fry?
- Absolutely! This recipe works well with other types of seafood like scallops or even a mix of seafood.
- Can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
- Yes, you can easily make this recipe vegetarian or vegan by omitting the shrimp and using tofu or tempeh instead. You can also substitute the oyster sauce with a vegetarian or vegan alternative.
- Can I use a different type of oil for cooking?
- Yes, you can use any type of oil you prefer for cooking. However, vegetable oil or another high smoke point oil is recommended.
- How do I store leftovers?
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove top before serving.