Are you looking for a delicious and easy-to-make steak recipe that is perfect for grilling? Look no further than the London broil Recipe Grill! This flavorful and affordable cut of meat is perfect for grilling, and with a few simple tips and tricks, you can create a perfectly grilled London broil every time. In this article, we will share with you a simple and delicious London broil recipe for the grill, along with tips for selecting the best cut of meat, preparing it for grilling, and cooking it to perfection.
Table of Contents
- What is London Broil?
- Choosing the Best Cut of Meat for London Broil
- Preparing the Meat for Grilling
- Marinating the London Broil
- Grilling the London Broil
- Resting and Slicing the London Broil
- London Broil Recipe for the Grill
- Tips for Perfectly Grilled London Broil
- Common London Broil Cooking Mistakes to Avoid
- London Broil Serving Suggestions
- London Broil FAQ
1. What is London Broil?
London broil is a dish that originated in the United States in the early 20th century. It refers to a method of preparing beef that involves marinating and then broiling or grilling a specific cut of beef, usually a flank steak or top round steak. Despite the name, London broil is not a specific cut of meat but rather a method of preparation.
2. Choosing the Best Cut of Meat for London Broil
The best cuts of meat for London broil are flank steak and top round steak. These cuts are lean and flavorful, with a texture that is perfect for grilling. When selecting your meat, look for a cut that is bright red in color, with minimal fat and marbling. The meat should also be firm to the touch and have a fresh, clean smell.
3. Preparing the Meat for Grilling
Before grilling your London broil, it’s important to prepare the meat properly. Start by removing any excess fat or sinew from the meat, as this can cause the meat to become tough and chewy. Then, score the surface of the meat with a sharp knife, making diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep. This will help the marinade penetrate the meat and will also create a more attractive presentation once the meat is grilled.
4. Marinating the London Broil
Marinating is a crucial step in preparing London broil, as it helps to tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. You can use a store-bought marinade or make your own using ingredients like soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and herbs. Place the London broil and the marinade in a plastic bag or a covered dish, and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
5. Grilling the London Broil
When it comes to grilling London broil, high heat is key. Preheat your grill to high heat and then place the marinated London broil on the grill, making sure to shake off any excess marinade before placing it on the grill. Cook the meat for 5-7 minutes on each side for medium-rare doneness, or adjust the cooking time according to your preferred level of doneness.
6. Resting and Slicing the London Broil
Once the meat is done cooking, remove it from the grill and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing it. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and tender steak. To slice the London broil, cut it against the grain into thin slices, which will help to further tenderize the meat.
7. London Broil Recipe for the Grill
Here’s a simple and delicious London broil recipe for the grill:
- 2 lbs flank steak or top round steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, olive oil, and black pepper.
- Place the steak in a large zip-top bag and pour the marinade over it. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Place the steak on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side for medium-rare doneness.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing it against the grain into thin slices.
8. Tips for Perfectly Grilled London Broil
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat is cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Let the meat rest before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Cut the meat against the grain to help it stay tender.
- Don’t overcook the meat, as this can cause it to become tough and chewy.
9. Common London Broil Cooking Mistakes to Avoid
- Choosing the wrong cut of meat: Flank steak or top round steak are the best cuts for London broil.
- Overcooking the meat: This can cause the meat to become tough and chewy.
- Skipping the marinating step: This is crucial for tenderizing and flavoring the meat.
- Not letting the meat rest before slicing: This can cause the juices to escape, resulting in a dry steak.
10. London Broil Serving Suggestions
- Serve with roasted or grilled vegetables, such as asparagus, potatoes, or bell peppers.
- Add a sauce, such as chimichurri or a garlic butter sauce.
- Serve with a side salad or a crusty bread for a complete meal.
11. London Broil FAQ
- What is the best way to store leftover London broil?
- Store leftover London broil in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Can London broil be cooked in the oven?
- Yes, London broil can be cooked in the oven using the broil function or at a high temperature.
- What is the difference between London broil and flank steak?
- London broil refers to a method of preparing beef that involves marinating and then broiling or grilling a specific cut of beef, usually a flank steak or top round steak. Flank steak is a specific cut of beef that is often used for London broil.
- Can London broil be frozen?
- Yes, London broil can be frozen for up to 6 months. Make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing.
- What are some other marinades that work well with London broil?
- Other marinades that work well with London broil include balsamic vinegar, teriyaki sauce, and red wine vinegar.
London broil is a delicious and versatile dish that can be prepared on the grill for a flavorful and tender steak. By using the right cut of meat, marinating it properly, and cooking it to the right temperature, you can create a meal that is sure to impress your family and friends. With the tips and recipe provided in this article, you’ll be on your way to making a perfect London broil in no time.
13. London Broil Recipe Grill – Final Thoughts
London broil is a popular dish that is easy to make and can be served in a variety of ways. Whether you’re looking to impress guests at a backyard barbecue or simply want a tasty meal for your family, this recipe is sure to be a hit. By following the tips and recipe provided in this article, you can create a delicious and tender London broil that will leave everyone wanting more.
So, fire up your grill and get ready to cook a perfect London broil!