Are you looking for a delicious and healthy chicken recipe that is easy to make? Look no further than chimichurri chicken! This traditional Argentinian dish is a flavorful and versatile option for any occasion. In this article, we will guide you through how to make chimichurri chicken, step by step.
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a popular sauce in Argentinian cuisine that is typically served with grilled meats. It is made with fresh herbs, such as parsley and cilantro, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar, giving it a tangy and savory flavor. Chimichurri is not only delicious, but it is also a healthier option than many other sauces because it is low in calories and contains antioxidants.
To make chimichurri chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
Follow these simple steps to make chimichurri chicken:
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the parsley, cilantro, garlic, red wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes (if using). Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- While the blender is running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the mixture is well combined.
- Reserve half of the chimichurri sauce for serving, and brush the other half over the chicken breasts.
- Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Serve the chicken with the reserved chimichurri sauce on the side.
Tips and Variations
- You can marinate the chicken in the chimichurri sauce for a few hours or overnight for extra flavor.
- If you don’t have a grill or grill pan, you can also bake the chicken in the oven at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Chimichurri sauce can also be used as a marinade or dressing for vegetables, fish, or other meats.
- If you prefer a milder flavor, you can reduce the amount of garlic or red pepper flakes in the sauce.
One serving of chimichurri chicken (1 chicken breast with sauce) contains approximately:
- Calories: 402
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 148mg
Chimichurri chicken is a delicious and healthy dish that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With its flavorful and tangy sauce, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds. Whether you grill it, bake it, or serve it with your favorite sides, chimichurri chicken is a versatile and tasty option for any meal.
Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe?
- Yes, you can use bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks for this recipe. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I make chimichurri sauce ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make chimichurri sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to one week. Just be sure to bring it to room temperature before using it.
Can I use different herbs in the chimichurri sauce?
- Yes, you can experiment with different herbs, such as oregano or basil, to make your own unique version of chimichurri sauce.
Can I use white wine vinegar instead of red wine vinegar?
- Yes, you can use white wine vinegar or even apple cider vinegar if you prefer.
Can I freeze chimichurri sauce?
- Yes, you can freeze chimichurri sauce in an airtight container for up to three months. Just be sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before using it.