If you’re a fan of Mexican food, you’ve probably heard of quesabirria tacos. These tacos are the latest trend in the world of Mexican cuisine, and they’ve quickly become a fan favorite. Quesabirria tacos are made with slow-cooked, juicy beef and melted cheese, wrapped in a crispy tortilla and served with a side of rich consommé for dipping. If you’re looking to try this delicious dish, you might be wondering, “Where can I find the best quesabirria tacos near me?” In this article, we’ll explore the history of quesabirria tacos, what makes them so special, and how to find the best ones near you.
What are Quesabirria Tacos?
Quesabirria tacos are a type of taco that originated in Tijuana, Mexico. The word “quesabirria” is a combination of two Spanish words: “queso” (cheese) and “birria” (a type of spicy, slow-cooked meat stew). These tacos are made by filling a tortilla with birria meat and cheese, and then grilling it until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy. They are traditionally served with a side of consommé, a rich, savory broth made from the juices of the birria meat.
The Rise of Quesabirria Tacos
In recent years, quesabirria tacos have exploded in popularity in the United States. Food bloggers and influencers have raved about the dish, and many restaurants and food trucks have added it to their menus. Part of the appeal of quesabirria tacos is their unique combination of flavors and textures. The juicy, tender birria meat pairs perfectly with the melted cheese and crispy tortilla, while the rich consommé adds an extra layer of depth and flavor.
How to Find the Best Quesabirria Tacos Near You
If you’re on the hunt for the best quesabirria tacos near you, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips for finding the perfect tacos:
1. Check Online Reviews
One of the easiest ways to find a great quesabirria taco spot is to check online reviews. Sites like Yelp and Google Maps allow users to leave reviews and ratings for restaurants and food trucks, making it easy to see what other people think of a particular spot. Look for places with high ratings and lots of positive reviews.
2. Ask for Recommendations
Another way to find great quesabirria tacos is to ask for recommendations from friends, family, and coworkers. If you know someone who loves Mexican food, ask them where they go for the best tacos in town. You might be surprised at the hidden gems they recommend.
3. Follow Food Blogs and Influencers
Many food bloggers and influencers are always on the lookout for the latest and greatest food trends. Follow some of your favorites on social media to see if they’ve tried any great quesabirria tacos lately. They might even have recommendations for specific spots in your area.
4. Look for Authentic Mexican Restaurants
Finally, if you want to find the most authentic and delicious quesabirria tacos, look for restaurants that specialize in Mexican cuisine. These restaurants are more likely to have perfected the art of making birria meat and consommé, which are the key components of a great quesabirria taco.
Making Quesabirria Tacos at Home
If you can’t find a great quesabirria taco spot near you, you can also try making them at home. Here’s a simple recipe to get you started:
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese (such as Monterey Jack or Oaxaca)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, combine the beef chuck roast, beef broth, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook in the oven for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling apart.
- Remove the beef from the pot and shred it with a fork.
- Strain the remaining liquid from the pot to create the consommé. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dip a tortilla in the consommé, then place it in the skillet. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the tortilla, then add a spoonful of shredded beef. Fold the tortilla in half and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, and beef.
- Serve the quesabirria tacos with the consommé and lime wedges on the side.
- What is the difference between birria tacos and quesabirria tacos?
Birria tacos are made with the same slow-cooked, spicy beef as quesabirria tacos, but they are served in a traditional soft tortilla and without the cheese.
- Can I use a different type of meat for my quesabirria tacos?
Yes, you can use any type of slow-cooked meat you prefer, such as pork or chicken.
- Is consommé necessary for quesabirria tacos?
Yes, consommé is an important part of the dish. It adds extra flavor and helps to moisten the tortilla.
- Can I make quesabirria tacos without frying them?
Yes, you can make them in the oven or on a griddle if you prefer a healthier option.
- Can I make quesabirria tacos ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the beef and consommé ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just reheat them before assembling the tacos.
Quesabirria tacos are the latest must-try dish in the world of Mexican cuisine. If you’re looking to try them for yourself, follow these tips for finding the best ones near you.