If you are looking for a mouth-watering Mexican dish to impress your family and friends, look no further than Chicken Mole Enchiladas. This traditional Mexican recipe features tender shredded chicken wrapped in soft tortillas and smothered in a rich and flavorful mole sauce.
In this blog post, we will share with you an easy-to-follow recipe for Chicken Mole Enchiladas, along with some tips and tricks for making this dish perfect every time. We will also explore the history and origins of mole sauce, as well as the health benefits of some of the ingredients used in this recipe.
So let’s get started!
What is Mole Sauce?
Mole sauce is a complex and flavorful sauce that is a staple in Mexican cuisine. It is made by blending together a variety of ingredients, including chili peppers, nuts, seeds, spices, and sometimes chocolate, to create a thick and rich sauce that can be used to flavor a wide range of dishes.
The origins of mole sauce are unclear, but it is believed to have originated in Mexico’s southern state of Oaxaca. There are many different types of mole sauces, each with their own unique combination of ingredients and flavors.
The most famous and widely recognized type of mole is mole poblano, which is made with dried chili peppers, spices, nuts, and chocolate. This sauce is typically served with chicken, and is the perfect accompaniment to our Chicken Mole Enchiladas.
Ingredients for Chicken Mole Enchiladas
To make Chicken Mole Enchiladas, you will need the following ingredients:
For the Enchiladas:
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco (or any crumbly cheese you prefer)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Mole Sauce:
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 2 dried pasilla chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- Start by making the mole sauce. Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chiles and place them in a bowl. Pour hot water over the chiles and let them soak for about 20 minutes, until they are soft and pliable.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the raisins, almonds, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds to the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the nuts and seeds are lightly toasted.
- Drain the soaked chiles and add them to the skillet, along with the crushed tomatoes, dark chocolate chips, and chicken broth. Stir everything together and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened and the flavors have melded together. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a separate skillet, warm the tortillas until they are soft and pliable.
- To assemble the enchiladas, dip each tortilla in the mole sauce to coat it, then place some shredded chicken in the center. Roll the tortilla up tightly and place it seam-side down in a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Pour the remaining mole sauce over the top of the enchiladas, making sure to cover them completely. Sprinkle the crumbled cheese over the top, and then place the baking dish in the oven.
- Bake the enchiladas for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once the enchiladas are done, remove them from the oven and sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the top.
Serve your Chicken Mole Enchiladas hot and enjoy the delicious flavors and aromas of this traditional Mexican dish!
Tips and Tricks for Making Perfect Chicken Mole Enchiladas
Here are some tips and tricks for making the perfect Chicken Mole Enchiladas:
- Use high-quality ingredients: The quality of the ingredients you use will directly affect the flavor of your enchiladas. Use fresh and high-quality chicken, cheese, and vegetables to make sure your dish is flavorful and delicious.
- Make the mole sauce in advance: Mole sauce can be time-consuming to make, so consider making it in advance and storing it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. This will save you time and hassle when it comes time to assemble your enchiladas.
- Use corn tortillas: Corn tortillas are the traditional choice for enchiladas, and they hold up well to the rich and flavorful mole sauce. If you prefer flour tortillas, you can use them instead, but they may not be as authentic.
- Don’t overstuff the tortillas: It can be tempting to overstuff your tortillas with chicken, but this can make them difficult to roll up and can cause them to fall apart when you bake them. Use a moderate amount of chicken for each enchilada and roll them up tightly.
Health Benefits of Chicken Mole Enchiladas
While Chicken Mole Enchiladas may not be the healthiest dish on the menu, they do offer some health benefits when made with fresh and high-quality ingredients.
Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscles, bones, and other tissues in the body. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, including niacin, selenium, and vitamin B6.
Mole sauce contains a variety of ingredients that are rich in antioxidants, including chili peppers, nuts, and chocolate. Antioxidants are important for protecting the body against oxidative stress and reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
Chicken Mole Enchiladas are a delicious and flavorful Mexican dish that is perfect for any occasion. With their tender shredded chicken and rich mole sauce, these enchiladas are sure to impress your family and friends.
By following our easy-to-follow recipe and using fresh and high-quality ingredients, you can make Chicken Mole Enchiladas that are sure to be a hit. So give this traditional Mexican dish a try and savor the delicious flavors and aromas of mole sauce!