If you’re looking for a mouth-watering dish that’s easy to prepare and perfect for a summer BBQ, look no further than BBQ pork steaks. This delicious recipe is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for seconds. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make perfect BBQ pork steaks every time.
Table of Contents
- What are BBQ Pork Steaks?
- Equipment Needed
- Marinating the Steaks
- Preparing the Grill
- Cooking the Steaks
- Checking for Doneness
- Resting the Steaks
- Serving Suggestions
- Storage and Reheating Tips
- Troubleshooting Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
What are BBQ Pork Steaks?
Pork steaks are a cut of meat taken from the shoulder of the pig. They are sometimes called blade steaks or Boston butt steaks. When cooked properly, they are juicy, tender, and full of flavor. BBQ pork steaks are simply pork steaks that have been marinated and cooked on a grill with BBQ sauce.
To make BBQ pork steaks, you’ll need:
- 4 pork steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Grill (gas or charcoal)
- Meat thermometer
- Basting brush
- Mixing bowl
- Mix together the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper in a mixing bowl. This will be your marinade.
- Place the pork steaks in a large resealable plastic bag or a shallow dish.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks, making sure they are fully coated.
- Seal the bag or cover the dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
Marinating the Steaks
Marinating is an important step in making flavorful BBQ pork steaks. The longer you marinate the meat, the more flavor it will absorb. Aim for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight. If you’re short on time, you can use a vacuum sealer to speed up the marinating process.
Preparing the Grill
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (around 375°F).
- Once the grill is hot, use tongs to scrape the grates clean.
- Oil the grates with a paper towel or silicone brush to prevent sticking.
Cooking the Steaks
- Remove the pork steaks from the marinade and discard any excess.
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steaks.
- While the steaks are cooking, baste them with the remaining marinade using a basting brush.
- Flip the steaks and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
Checking for Doneness
It’s important to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the pork steaks. The USDA recommends cooking pork to an internal temperature of 145°F. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to get an accurate reading. Be careful not to touch the bone, as this can give a false reading.
Resting the Steaks
Once the pork steaks reach 145°F, remove them from the grill and let them rest for at least 3 minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute and results in a juicier, more tender steak.
BBQ pork steaks are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a variety of sides. Some popular options include:
- Corn on the cob
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- Grilled vegetables
Storage and Reheating Tips
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, place the pork steaks in the microwave or oven until heated through.
If your pork steaks are tough or dry, it could be because they were overcooked. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness and remove the steaks from the grill as soon as they reach 145°F. If the marinade is burning, try turning down the heat on your grill or using a different BBQ sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use a different cut of pork for this recipe?
- While pork steaks are recommended for this recipe, you can also use pork chops or a pork loin.
- Can I use a store-bought BBQ sauce?
- Yes, you can use a store-bought BBQ sauce if you prefer. Just make sure to choose a high-quality brand for the best flavor.
- Can I cook these pork steaks in the oven?
- Yes, you can cook these pork steaks in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Can I freeze BBQ pork steaks?
- Yes, you can freeze BBQ pork steaks for up to 3 months. Just make sure to store them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
- Can I double or triple this recipe?
- Yes, you can easily double or triple this recipe to feed a larger crowd. Just make sure to adjust the marinade accordingly.
BBQ pork steaks are a delicious and easy recipe that’s perfect for summer BBQs. With a few simple ingredients and some basic grilling skills, you can make juicy, flavorful steaks that are sure to impress your guests. Give this recipe a try today and enjoy the delicious taste of BBQ pork steaks!