Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that many people enjoy. It’s simple, tasty, and versatile, making it a go-to meal for families and individuals. But have you ever tried smoked meatloaf? This variation takes the traditional recipe to the next level by infusing it with smoky flavor and adding a juicy texture. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a delicious and juicy smoked meatloaf on your Traeger grill.
Table of Contents
- Preparing the Meatloaf
- Smoking the Meatloaf
- Adding the Toppings
- Serving and Storing
- Tips and Tricks
Before we start, we need to gather the necessary ingredients to make our smoked meatloaf on a Traeger grill. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce
Preparing the Meatloaf
- Start by preheating your Traeger grill to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, eggs, chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper, chopped celery, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into a loaf shape, and place it on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Brush the top and sides of the meatloaf with BBQ sauce.
Smoking the Meatloaf
- Place the meatloaf on the Traeger grill, and close the lid.
- Smoke the meatloaf for 2-3 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- During the last 30 minutes of smoking, apply a layer of BBQ sauce to the meatloaf every 10 minutes.
Adding the Toppings
- Once the meatloaf has finished smoking, remove it from the Traeger grill and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Top the meatloaf with additional BBQ sauce or any other desired toppings, such as shredded cheese or chopped herbs.
Serving and Storing
- Slice the meatloaf into thick slices, and serve with your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit before removing it from the Traeger grill.
- Let the meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing it. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it juicier and more flavorful.
- Experiment with different toppings, such as bacon or sautéed mushrooms, to add even more flavor to your smoked meatloaf.
Smoked meatloaf on a Traeger grill is a delicious and juicy variation of the classic meatloaf recipe that you and your family will love. With just a few simple ingredients and some smoking time on your Traeger grill, you can transform a traditional comfort food into a savory and smoky delight. The combination of spices and BBQ sauce makes this dish a crowd-pleaser at any gathering, and it’s perfect for leftovers too.
So, next time you’re in the mood for meatloaf, give this smoked meatloaf recipe a try. Your taste buds will thank you!
Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe?
- Yes, you can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey, chicken, or pork. However, keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the type of meat you use.
Can I use a different type of BBQ sauce?
- Yes, you can use any type of BBQ sauce that you prefer, such as sweet and spicy or tangy mustard-based sauce.
Can I make this recipe without a Traeger grill?
- Yes, you can still make this recipe using a different type of smoker or even your oven. Just follow the same steps for preparing and smoking the meatloaf.
How long does it take to smoke the meatloaf?
- It takes approximately 2-3 hours to smoke the meatloaf on a Traeger grill at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
- Yes, you can freeze any leftover smoked meatloaf in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then heat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.