If you are a fan of seafood and bold flavors, then you have probably heard of New Orleans BBQ shrimp recipe. This classic dish is a favorite among locals and tourists alike, and for a good reason. The combination of succulent shrimp, aromatic spices, and tangy sauce creates a mouth-watering experience that you will not forget. In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home.
To make New Orleans BBQ shrimp, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of large, raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and salt until well combined.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss until they are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Transfer the shrimp and sauce mixture to a large baking dish.
- Bake the shrimp for 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through and the sauce is bubbling.
- Remove the shrimp from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the shrimp with crusty bread or over a bed of rice.
- You can adjust the amount of hot sauce according to your taste preference. If you prefer a milder flavor, use less hot sauce, or omit it altogether.
- Make sure to use unsalted butter in this recipe to control the level of saltiness.
- You can also grill the shrimp instead of baking them for a smokier flavor.
While the traditional New Orleans BBQ shrimp recipe is delicious as is, you can also experiment with different flavors and ingredients to create your own twist on this classic dish. Here are a few ideas:
- Add diced tomatoes and green onions to the sauce for a fresh and tangy flavor.
- Use Cajun seasoning instead of paprika and oregano for a spicier kick.
- Substitute the Worcestershire sauce with soy sauce for an Asian-inspired flavor.
Q: What is the best way to peel and devein shrimp?
A: To peel and devein shrimp, start by holding the shrimp with one hand and gently pulling off the legs and shell with the other hand. Once the shell is removed, use a sharp knife to make a shallow cut along the back of the shrimp and remove the black vein.
Q: Can I use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use frozen shrimp for this recipe. Just make sure to thaw them completely before cooking.
Q: Can I make this dish ahead of time?
A: While it is best to serve the shrimp right after it is cooked, you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Q: What are some good side dishes to serve with New Orleans BBQ shrimp?
A: Some great side dishes to complement the bold flavors of the shrimp include creamy grits, garlic bread, or a fresh salad.
Q: Can I use a different type of seafood for this recipe?
A: While shrimp is the traditional choice for this recipe, you can also use other types of seafood such as crawfish or scallops for a delicious twist.
Q: Is this recipe gluten-free?
A: The traditional New Orleans BBQ shrimp recipe is not gluten-free due to the Worcestershire sauce used in the sauce. However, you can use a gluten-free Worcestershire sauce to make it suitable for those with gluten intolerance.
In conclusion, the New Orleans BBQ shrimp recipe is a simple and delicious dish that is perfect for any seafood lover. With its bold and tangy flavors, it is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for more. Follow the steps in this article to create your own version of this classic dish, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients to make it your own. Enjoy!