Memorial Day is a special day to honor those who have served and sacrificed for our country. It’s also a time to gather with friends and family, enjoy the outdoors, and indulge in some delicious food. One dish that has become a classic for Memorial Day BBQs is potato salad. In this article, we’ll share a classic recipe for Memorial Day potato salad that’s sure to impress your guests.
Why Potato Salad is a Popular Dish for Memorial Day
Potato salad is a popular dish for Memorial Day for several reasons. First, it’s a classic summer dish that’s easy to make and can be served cold or at room temperature, making it perfect for outdoor events. Additionally, potato salad is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit different tastes and dietary restrictions. Finally, potato salad is a dish that can be made in large batches, making it ideal for feeding a crowd at a Memorial Day BBQ.
Ingredients for Memorial Day Potato Salad
To make this classic Memorial Day potato salad recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of potatoes, washed and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of diced celery
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 1/4 cup of diced dill pickles
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Making Memorial Day Potato Salad
Follow these simple steps to make the perfect Memorial Day potato salad:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cubed potatoes and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender but still firm.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and let them cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled potatoes, celery, red onion, dill pickles, and chopped hard-boiled eggs.
- Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and toss gently until everything is coated evenly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, give the potato salad a quick stir and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Tips for Making the Perfect Memorial Day Potato Salad
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect potato salad for your Memorial Day BBQ:
- Use waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold or red potatoes for the best texture in your potato salad.
- Cut the potatoes into small, bite-sized pieces for a more even texture.
- Be sure to let the cooked potatoes cool before mixing with the other ingredients to prevent the dressing from becoming runny.
- Use a whisk to make the dressing for a smooth, even texture.
- Refrigerate the potato salad for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
Potato salad is a classic dish that’s perfect for Memorial Day BBQs. With this simple recipe, you can make a delicious potato salad that’s sure to impress your guests. Whether you’re celebrating at home or with friends and family, this Memorial Day potato salad is a great addition to any outdoor gathering.
Can I make this potato salad ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make this potato salad up to a day ahead of time. Just be sure to keep it refrigerated until ready to serve.
Can I use a different type of potato?
- Yes, you can use different types of potatoes, but keep in mind that waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold or red potatoes work best for potato salad as they hold their shape better.
Can I substitute the mayonnaise with a different ingredient?
- Yes, you can substitute the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt or sour cream for a healthier option.
Can I add other ingredients to this potato salad?
- Absolutely! You can add other ingredients like chopped bacon, green onions, or diced bell peppers to customize the potato salad to your liking.
How long will this potato salad keep in the fridge?
- This potato salad will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.