Are you tired of the same old ground beef recipes? Why not try a Korean twist on this classic ingredient? Korean ground beef is a flavorful and easy dish that can be made in under 30 minutes. In this article, we will share with you a delicious and authentic recipe for Korean ground beef that you can try at home. From the ingredients you will need to step-by-step instructions, we’ve got you covered.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s first take a look at the ingredients you will need. Don’t worry, most of these ingredients are commonly found in your pantry or local grocery store.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Optional: sesame seeds and additional green onions for garnish
Now that you have all the ingredients, let’s start cooking!
Step 1: Cook the Ground Beef
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain any excess grease.
Step 2: Add the Sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, ground ginger, garlic powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour the sauce over the ground beef and stir until evenly coated.
Step 3: Simmer
Reduce the heat to low and let the beef simmer in the sauce for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens and the beef is fully cooked.
Step 4: Garnish and Serve
Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the sliced green onions. Garnish with additional green onions and sesame seeds if desired. Serve hot over rice or noodles.
Tips for Making the Best Korean Ground Beef
- Use high-quality ground beef: The quality of the meat will directly impact the taste of the dish. Choose ground beef with at least 80% lean to ensure a tender and flavorful result.
- Adjust the spice level: If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of red pepper flakes or omit them altogether. For a spicier version, add more red pepper flakes or even some hot sauce.
- Let it simmer: Letting the beef simmer in the sauce for a few minutes allows the flavors to meld together and gives a thicker and more flavorful sauce.
- Don’t overcook the green onions: Green onions are a fresh and delicate garnish for the dish. Be careful not to overcook them, or they will lose their flavor and texture.
Korean ground beef is a delicious and easy recipe that you can add to your weekly meal rotation. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can make a flavorful and authentic Korean dish in under 30 minutes. So, next time you’re looking for a quick and tasty dinner, give this recipe a try.
Can I substitute ground turkey or chicken for ground beef in this recipe?
- Yes, you can substitute ground turkey or chicken for the ground beef in this recipe. However, the flavor and texture will be slightly different.
Is this dish spicy?
- It can be as spicy or mild as you like. Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to your desired level of spiciness.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make the beef ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve.
Can I freeze leftovers of this dish?
- Yes, you can freeze the leftovers of this dish. Store the cooled beef in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
What sides go well with Korean ground beef?
- Korean ground beef pairs well with steamed rice, noodles, or stir-fried vegetables such as broccoli or bok choy.
Korean ground beef is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Whether you prefer a mild or spicy flavor, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Don’t hesitate to give it a try and add it to your list of go-to recipes for quick and easy dinners.