If you’re looking for a comforting and satisfying meal on a cold day, look no further than creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons. This classic dish is a staple in many households, and for good reason. It’s easy to make, delicious, and perfect for warming up on chilly days.
What is Creamy Tomato Soup?
Creamy tomato soup is a soup made from tomatoes, cream, and other ingredients such as onions, garlic, and herbs. The soup is usually smooth and velvety in texture, and has a sweet and tangy taste. Creamy tomato soup is often served as a starter or main course and pairs well with grilled cheese sandwiches or crusty bread.
How to Make Creamy Tomato Soup?
Making creamy tomato soup is quite simple and requires only a few basic ingredients. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley, chopped (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Heat the soup over medium heat until it is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley if desired.
What are Grilled Cheese Croutons?
Grilled cheese croutons are a fun and delicious twist on traditional croutons. They are made by grilling small cubes of bread that have been coated in melted cheese until they are crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. They are a great addition to creamy tomato soup and add an extra layer of texture and flavor.
How to Make Grilled Cheese Croutons?
Making grilled cheese croutons is easy and requires only a few ingredients. Here’s how to make them:
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of cheese between the two slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Grill the sandwich in the skillet until it is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.
- Cut the sandwich into small cubes and serve as croutons with creamy tomato soup.
Tips for Serving Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Here are some tips to make the most out of your creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons:
- Serve the soup hot with the grilled cheese croutons on top.
- Garnish the soup with fresh herbs such as basil or parsley for added flavor and color.
- Pair the soup with a slice of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a more filling meal.
- Use a high-quality canned tomato or fresh tomato for the best flavor.
Creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons is a classic dish that is perfect for warming up on a chilly day. It’s easy to make, delicious, and versatile. By following the simple recipe above, you can make a comforting and satisfying meal that everyone
By following the simple recipe above, you can make a comforting and satisfying meal that everyone will enjoy. The creamy tomato soup is rich and velvety, while the grilled cheese croutons add a crispy and cheesy texture. It’s a perfect meal for a cozy night in or a family gathering.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and spices to make the soup your own. You can add some cream cheese or grated Parmesan for a more intense flavor or add some smoked paprika or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. The possibilities are endless.
So, the next time you’re craving something warm and comforting, try making creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons. It’s a classic dish that never goes out of style.
- Can I use other types of cheese for the grilled cheese croutons?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese that melts well, such as mozzarella, provolone, or Gouda.
- Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Just make sure to peel and chop them before adding them to the soup.
- Can I make the soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the soup ahead of time and reheat it when you’re ready to serve. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Can I freeze the soup?
Yes, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. Just let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container.
- What can I serve with creamy tomato soup besides grilled cheese croutons?
You can serve the soup with a slice of crusty bread, a salad, or a side of roasted vegetables.