Chicken Burrito Recipe
Craving a delicious, filling, and easy-to-make meal? Look no further! This chicken burrito recipe has all the flavors and textures you could want, packed into a warm and comforting tortilla. With tender chicken, perfectly seasoned rice, hearty beans, and a variety of additional toppings, you’ll be sure to impress your family and friends. Let’s dive in and learn how to create this mouthwatering dish!
For the Chicken
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Rice
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
For the Beans
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Large flour tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Chopped lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
Preparing the Chicken
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the spice mixture evenly over the chicken breasts or thighs.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing or shredding it.
Cooking the Rice
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, water, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, then stir in the chopped cilantro and lime juice.
Preparing the Beans
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the drained and rinsed black beans. 2. Stir in the cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through.
Assembling the Burrito
- Lay a large flour tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon some of the cooked rice onto the center of the tortilla, leaving a border around the edge.
- Add a layer of the seasoned beans, followed by the cooked chicken.
- Top with your choice of additional toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla inward, then roll it up tightly, enclosing the filling. You can wrap the burrito in foil for easier handling, if desired.
Serve the chicken burritos with tortilla chips and your favorite salsa, or a side of Mexican-style coleslaw. A refreshing limeade or cold beer would make the perfect beverage pairing.
For a meatless alternative, substitute the chicken with sautéed bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, or use a plant-based protein like tofu or tempeh.
Add some heat to your chicken burritos by including chopped jalapeños or a spicy hot sauce.
Storage and Reheating
Store any leftover burritos in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply wrap the burrito in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through.
This chicken burrito recipe is a flavorful, satisfying, and versatile meal option that can be easily customized to suit your tastes. Whether you’re a fan of spicy flavors or prefer a vegetarian option, these burritos are sure to become a favorite in your meal rotation. Enjoy!
- Can I use brown rice instead of white rice? Yes, you can substitute brown rice for white rice in this recipe. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may be longer.
- Can I freeze these burritos? Yes, these burritos can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap each burrito individually in foil and store them in a freezer-safe bag or container.
- How can I make this recipe gluten-free? To make this recipe gluten-free, use corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas.
- Can I use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken myself? Yes, using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken is a great time-saving option. Just shred the chicken and toss it with the spice mixture before assembling the burritos.
- What other types of beans can I use in this recipe? Feel free to substitute other beans, such as pinto beans or kidney beans, for the black beans in this recipe.