Granola is a healthy breakfast and snack option that has become increasingly popular over the years. It’s not only delicious, but it’s also easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients. In this post, we will provide you with the best homemade granola recipe that is both nutritious and tasty. We’ll also share some tips on how to make it, the health benefits of granola, and why making your own is better than buying it from the store.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need. The great thing about making granola is that you can easily customize it to your liking. However, here are the basic ingredients that you’ll need:
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, or any nut of your choice)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, or any fruit of your choice)
Now that you have your ingredients, let’s get started with the recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, chopped nuts, and coconut flakes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the honey and coconut oil over low heat until melted.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir until everything is well coated.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the granola is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once the granola has cooled, stir in the dried fruit.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Tips for Making Granola recipe
Here are some tips to help you make the best homemade granola:
- Use old-fashioned rolled oats instead of quick oats. They will provide a better texture and won’t get too mushy when mixed with the other ingredients.
- Use a combination of nuts and seeds to add more protein and healthy fats to your granola.
- Experiment with different flavors by adding spices like cinnamon or ginger.
- Be careful not to over-bake your granola. It can easily burn, which will give it a bitter taste.
- Let the granola cool completely before adding the dried fruit. This will prevent the fruit from getting too hard.
Health Benefits of Granola
Granola is a nutritious breakfast and snack option that provides many health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of eating granola:
- High in fiber: Granola is a good source of fiber, which can help regulate digestion and keep you feeling full longer.
- Packed with protein: Nuts and seeds in granola are a great source of protein, which is important for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Contains healthy fats: Coconut oil and nuts in granola provide healthy fats that are essential for brain health and reducing inflammation in the body.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Granola contains vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, and vitamin E, which are important for overall health.
Why Making Your Own Granola is Better
While it may be tempting to buy granola from the store, making your own is a better option for several reasons:
- Control over ingredients: When you make your own granola, you have control over what goes into it. You can choose the type of flavors, nuts, seeds, and fruits that you like, and you can also adjust the sweetness and saltiness to your taste.
- Healthier option: Store-bought granola can be high in sugar and unhealthy fats. When you make your own, you can use natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup and healthier fats like coconut oil.
- Cost-effective: Making your own granola can be cheaper than buying it from the store, especially if you buy the ingredients in bulk.
- More sustainable: Making your own granola reduces packaging waste, as you can store it in reusable containers.
Homemade Granola is a healthy and delicious breakfast and snack option that can be easily made at home with a few simple ingredients. This recipe provides a basic granola recipe that you can customize to your liking with different nuts, seeds, and fruits. Making your own granola is a better option than buying it from the store, as it allows you to control the ingredients, make a healthier option, and save money. With these tips and the best homemade granola recipe, you can enjoy a nutritious and tasty breakfast or snack anytime.